Did you run it out of oil. The sound could have been metal against metal. The pistons don't work real well without lubrication. If it has oil something is binding it up. Try taking the sparkplug out and see if you can pull the rope.
I figured I'd ask you guys first. My push mower started sounding funny last night and I turned it off. It sounded like a twig or something was caught. No twig and when I pulled the cord to restart it, the cord wouldn't even pull. I mean, at all. Any comments or possible solutions would be much appreciated.
Did you run it out of oil. The sound could have been metal against metal. The pistons don't work real well without lubrication. If it has oil something is binding it up. Try taking the sparkplug out and see if you can pull the rope.
I thought the same thing. I checked the dipstick and it was REALLY low. I hadn't checked it this summer, because the kids at school told me they changed it when they were replacing a rusted out wire. I put a quart in and still no luck. What should I do if it was the oil situation?
The engine may have seized up. If so it might be cheaper to buy another mower, unless you can find a used motor. Trying to crank it w/o the plug in will allow you to know if the motor has locked up.
Thanks for the info. I'm going to check with my vocational buddies. I know you're supposed to change the oil after 25 hours of use. I only use the push mower to cut the bank in front of my house and around the trees. My son has cut a little more when I ask him to, but we haven't put 25 hours on it this summer. Off to Wal-Mart we go.
Just a postscript to this. My father-in-law didn't tell me what was wrong with it, but an Amish guy fixed it for $10. I know the engine was seized up, but it must not have caused much damage.
How the heck did an Amish guy know how to fix modern equipment? [img]/LDPforum/ubbthreads/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif[/img] You sure you didn't have a goat for a lawnmower?
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
You know, I kind of thought the same thing a few years ago when they started moving down. I did a little research. Apparently the gas-powered stuff is ok for some of the groups. Telephones and cars are no-go's for almost all of them. They are absolutely tireless workers and are never late for anything. Quick Amish story. My dad and I were coming back from Lynchburg on one of our back roads. I told him to slow down because there were Amish ahead. He looked at me like I was stupid and almost immediately had to lock it up. He looked at me again and I said,"Didn't you see the fresh horsesh** in the road?"
HAHA. Arent most of them in VA Mennonites instead? Not much difference really, but some slight different things between them and the Amish.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
No, these are honest to goodness Amish. I think our Amish community came from Maryland. There are a few Mennonites over in Farmville. I have no idea what the difference is. I do know that Amish are very quiet and subdued. When they work, that's all they do...when others are around. They will periodically bring the buggies into the village to go to the drugstore and hitch up the horse to the fence dividing our property. They also sell fresh breads and stuff and a little stand right off 460. I would love to be able and sit down and just ask, "What's this all about?", but they are REALLY wary of outsiders.
Bookmarks